The proposed new Barrington Public Library and Community Center will be a modest single story 13,120 square feet − practical, maximally economical to operate, and able to respond to community needs for decades to come. It will be constructed on Town-owned land on Ramsdell Lane a few hundred yards from the current building and still conveniently available to the children in the ECLC who use the library for book check out and other activities. There will be attractive landscaping, a covered porch, patio, and expanded parking to accommodate up to 50 cars. Not included in the current plans, but adjacent space remains available for things such as a small amphitheater or exercise area for older folks.
The proposed building will provide barrier-free accessibility throughout and ample space for artwork and displays. The flexible, open-concept layout has been designed to also permit re-configuration as citizens’ needs may change in the future, and with open sight lines to allow a small staff to easily observe activity in most areas of the library, allowing for more efficient staffing. The new Library also will feature state-of-the-art technology including computer stations, laptops for in-house use, additional charging stations for cell phones and other devices, and free Wi-Fi capability extending to the patio, parking lot and playground. The community room secure access allows this part of the facility to be used after hours without the necessity of library staff being present. The campus-type layout of the 4 important centers of activity for the youth of our community offers an inviting environment for increased socialization for those young people but also their parents and grandparents.
- Community Program Room with seating for 100 people and dividable into two spaces. Available to local groups, featuring a separate entrance, kitchen and restrooms
- Barrington Conference Room
- Children’s Corner separate from Adult Wing with family-centered areas
- Adult Wing with ample natural light and comfortable seating
- Dedicated Juvenile Zone and Young Adult Space
- Quiet Study Room for small meetings, tutoring, or business activities
- Craft Room/Maker Space for a wide range of hands-on learning and creative experiences for children and adults
- Large Circulation Desk, Media Area, public computers, WiFi and laptops to borrow
- Social Areas – groupings of easy chairs, covered porch, patio, and self-serve cafe
- Expanded staff areas, restrooms, custodial room
- Increased parking