The new Barrington Public Library and Community Center will be a modest 13,120 square feet − practical, maximally economical to operate, and able to respond to community needs for decades to come. It will be constructed on Town-owned land on Ramsdell Lane a few hundred yards from the current building with room on the property for other possible development in the future. There will be attractive landscaping, a covered porch, patio, and expanded parking.
The single-story building will provide barrier-free accessibility throughout and ample space for artwork and displays. The flexible, open-concept layout also has been designed to permit re-configuration as citizens’ needs may change in the future, and with open sight lines to allow a small staff to easily observe activity. The new Library also will feature state-of-the-art technology including computer stations, laptops for in-house use, additional charging stations for cell phones and other devices, and WiFi capability extending to the patio, parking lot and playground.
- Community Program Room with seating for 100 people and dividable into two spaces. Available to local groups, featuring a separate entrance, kitchen and restrooms
- Barrington Conference Room
- Children’s Corner separate from Adult Wing with family-centered areas
- Adult Wing with ample natural light and comfortable seating
- Dedicated Juvenile Zone and Young Adult Space
- Quiet Study Room for small meetings, tutoring, or business activities
- Craft Room/Maker Space for a wide range of hands-on learning and creative experiences for children and adults
- Large Circulation Desk, Media Area, public computers, WiFi and laptops to borrow
- Social Areas – groupings of easy chairs, covered porch, patio, and self-serve cafe
- Expanded staff areas, restrooms, custodial room
- Increased parking